What is Silicone?
Silicone is made from materials that exist in abundance – the same materials that make up a huge percentage of the earth’s crust. Silipints don’t employ limited resources like petroleum or metals that need to be drilled out of the ground to make plastic cups and metal containers. Silicone, in the form of a rubberlike substance, is a material composed of silicon, carbon hydrogen and oxygen, and a curing catalyst used to harden the liquid silicone substance into the desired shape.
How Safe Are Silipints?
Our ecofriendly silicone cups, reusable glasses and straws are not just safe because they’re BPA-free and won’t shatter, melt or collapse. According to Scientific American, they’re also safe because:
- – They’re chemically inert and stable
- – Silipints don’t react with or leach into food
- – Silicone doesn’t outgas vapors, even at high temperatures
- – Silicone isn’t toxic to soil or organic organisms
- – Even if they end up in the waste stream and are incinerated, they are reduced back to harmless ingredients
- – Silicone is hypoallergenic and therefore does not support microbiological growth
Are They Recyclable?
As for the end of life cycle, silicone can only be recycled at a specific plant. However, we offer to take in any product that a consumer wants to recycle, they just need to ship it to us. We have a resource partner, ECO USA, that takes those products, heats them up, puts it through a filtration and refinement process to produce recycle-grade silicone fluid which can then be reused by other companies.
Silipints Are Environmental Heroes.
- – You really won’t throw your Silipint away because they can be used again and again, virtually forever, which promotes a zero-waste lifestyle.
- – Even some other reusable cups, straws and containers have a greater carbon footprint than a multi-use Silipint
- – We have many event-based customers that use Silipints as their re-fillable cups to greatly reduce the waste generated by attendees. Or, participants also love getting eco-friendly silicone cups, reusable glasses and straws as prizes at events.